The Town of Woodfin is undergoing efforts to develop recreational facilities along the French Broad River for the benefit of its citizens and the larger community. The Woodfin Greenway and Blueway is a major component of this overall effort connecting parks to one another and linking to the River Arts district redevelopment in Asheville which includes Greenways. This connection will serve the residents of Woodfin and Buncombe County including two schools and existing parks, the new Silverline Park with river access and the Wave Park which will provide a unique river recreational experience.
In an effort to improve conditions for citizens and businesses the Board believes that the creation of a greenway and park system along the French Broad will enhance property values, encourage investment and improve the lives of our citizens.
Status of Tasks directly relating to Projects of Silverline Park, The Wave and Park, and Riverside Park
Note: Buncombe County is responsible for tasks and timelines associated with all Greenways
Download a copy HERE
- Nov 2016 Town of Woodfin passed $4,500,000 Bond to build Silverline Park and a Woodfin Greenway. Bond delivery date is March 1, 2017
- Nov 2016 Conceptual Design and Feasibility study for The Wave with surveying and a flood/hydrology analysis added in 2017
- 2017 Town of Woodfin holds “open house” style public meetings to gather public input regarding the draft master plan for the Silverline Park project
- 2017 Town of Woodfin holds public meetings to receive public input on preferences for Silverline Park and staff develop initial plans for site
- 2017 Woodfin Greenway is included in Buncombe County Master Greenway Plan. Buncombe County staff in Parks and Recreation become responsible for all aspects of Greenway development
- 2017 Woodfin Greenway and section to Broadway have access to grant money totaling $660,000 from FHWA STIP for site plan development——Buncombe County staff are handling
- Jan 1, 2018 Tourism Grant commenses
- Jun 2018 Special called Town of Woodfin meeting for Alderman to authorize key concepts to be included in Silverline Park
- Jul 2018 Town of Woodfin submits requests for bids to develop site plans for Silverline Park project. Requirements dictate need for three bids for any major town project. “Friends Group” questions viability of procedures used in sending out bids for site plans —Ben Danimiller contacts UNC-Chapel Hill Planning School for final approval on methodology he used for submitting bids and is authorized in September 2018
- Sep 2018 Ben Danimiller submits bids for site plans for Silverline Park again.
- Oct 2, 2018 Catch the Wave fundraising event
- Nov 2018 Equinox is only bid that is returned and has higher cost percentage than Town of Woodfin is wanting to accept. Mayor asks for additional efforts to find appropriate vendors.
- Dec 2018 Ben Danimiller, Town Assistant and Zoning Officer leaves employment but creates the December 2018 timeline for all projects
- Jan 23, 2019 WastePro gives permission for Town Attorney to have property surveyed and appraised. Town Attorney to contact various apprasial groups for bids
- Jan 23, 2019 Riverbank notifies Town of Woodfin that they will not take on responsibility of environmental testing of any of the projects. Town had been previously told that Riverbank would handle said testing but now Town of Woodfin will begin finding firms qualified to do Phase One and Phase Two Environmental testing.
- Jan 31, 2019 Josh O’Connell continues to wait on MCDOT approval to combine the Riverside Drive-French Broad River and Beaverdam Creek Greenways into one design contract in order to save funds.
- Jan 31, 2019 The French Broad River Greenway Design and contract is delayed to changes in county administration and revised costs that have increased 200%.
- Jan 31, 2019 Project Coordination Meeting at Riverlink, Marc Hunt states the need for public hearing for input before a contract is signed with Equinox for sitedplan for WastePro and Riverside Park due to his many donors.
- Jan 31, 2019 Town of Woodfin authorizes PARTF application for Grant, Linda and Jason to create Parks and Recreation Master plan and Capital Improvement Plan - must be submitted by May 2019
- Feb 19, 2019 Town of Woodfin signs Resolution certifying and declaring the results of the special Bond Referendum on the Bond Order Authorizing the issuance of $4,500,000 General Obligation Parks and Recreation Bonds
- Feb 20, 2019 Town of Woodfin notified of NCDOT plans to build new Craggy Bridge
- Feb 2019 Riverlink complete lease application to Town of Woodfin and Town sends to Norfolk Southern for railroad easement. Town of Woodfin, N.C.
- Mar 6, 2019 Buncombe County staff continue to wait for authorization from N.C. Department of Transportation for approval to combine the Highway 251 Greenway(Woodfin) with Beaverdam Creek Greenway into one design contract. Notes: $220,000 allocated for Beaverdam Creek Greenway design from Buncombe County
- Mar 13, 2019 Josh, Jason and Amy Vitnor with Tryon Investments went to Raleigh to meet with LGC for informal discussion of next steps for bond rating order
- Mar 15, 2019 Riverlink donor at Appreciation event talked to attendees about plans for the Woodfin Greenway and Blueway
- Mar 19, 2019 Town of Woodfin conducts public meeting on Community Survey on Woodfin resident’s needs and preferences for Parks and Greenways and shows maps and graphics
- Apr 1, 2019 Public open house session prior to Planning and Zoning Board Meeting
- Apr 2019 Survey on WastePro site is completed
- Apr 15, 2019 Town contacted Norfolk Southern and found that check had been lost. Application was resubmitted
- Apr 23, 2019 Presentation of draft Master Plan to Board of Alderman with opportunity for public comments
- Apr 2019 Town of Woodfin approves Parks and Recreation Master Plan as submitted by Linda Giltz, Community Planning Consultant and Equinox environmental using information from community surveys
- May 1, 2019 Linda Glitz completed the Town of Woodfin Parks and Recreation Master Plan and submitted grant application documents for PARTF
- May 2019 N.C. Department of Transportation approves the proposed combination of the French Broad River and Beaverdam Greenway. The one project includes the 3 miles from southern Town limits by Riverside Drive to MSD and the 2 miles along Beaverdam Creek. The RFQ for the design of the greenway is written but needs approval by DOT. Note that the one mile portion of greenway between the Woodfin town limits and the RADTIP project’s northern end, at Hill St is being managed by the City of Asheville. A $240,000 grant from NCDOT for the design of this project is at hand and the $60,000 local match has been provided by the Countym City and Connect Buncombe. The City plans to start the project in October 2019 projects but does not sign authorization. NO SIGNED AUTHORIZATION AS OF FEB 2020
- Jun 2019 Buncombe County waits on signed contract between NCDOT and FHWA and then Buncombe County and NCDOT
- Jun 2019 Buncombe County authorizes finish of above Greenway design work without signed contracts
- Jul 2019 Town of Woodfin approves software program to share timeline of projects between various groups working on Silverline Park, WastePro and Riverside Park, The Wave and Greenways
- Jul 2019 Alpha Environmental completed Phase 1 environmental testing on WastePro site
- Jul 7/14/19, 2019 Town of Woodfin signs Agreement with Equinox to develop site plan and permitting for Silverline Park
- Jul 15, 2019 Marc Hunt expresses concerns about terminology in contract with Alpha Environmentals for the Phase 2 testing. - Marc Hunt asking for changes in contract - referred to Town Attorney
- Aug 2019 Aldermen Ronnie Lunsford and Debbie Giezentanner investigate past history of WastePro site - talking to local population who were present during the hauling of concrete and bricks from old Azona building in downtown Asheville in the 1970’s and were also present when US Corps of Army Engineers were onsite and required the removal of some concrete slabs from the river’s edge. Information given to Town Attorney for further investigation on Mr Hunts statements
- Sep 2019 Town of Woodfin drains standing water in Silverline Park and MSD resolves leak and install new sewer lines
- Sep 2019 U.S. Army Corps of Engineers visits Silverline Park site and sends recommendations on additional survey for floodplain information and wetland specifications
- Sep 12, 2019 Town Attorney changes language in Phase 1 Alpha Environmental authorization to state “construction rubble” - not considered landfill.
- Oct 2019 Hunter-Kemper Planning Report for Riverlink and reviewed with staff attending Oversight Committee meeting held at Riverbank office
- Oct 2, 2019 Second Catch the Wave fundraising event
- Dec 2019 Town of Woodfin signs Agreement with Equinox to develop site plan and permitting of WastePro-Riverside Park
- Jan 2020: Town of Woodfin develops Woodfin Team comprised of Mayor, Town Manager, Alderman and Project Manager to coordinate all aspects of Silverline Park project, WastePro and Riverside Park project, The Wave project and support to Buncombe County for Greenway projects
- Jan 21, 2020 Equinox presents a 60 percent completion site plan of Silverline Park to Town of Woodfin and publicJan 22, 2020 Equinox submits the Silverline Park floodplain permit application to Buncombe County
- Jan 22, 2020 Town of Woodfin contacts DOT for assistance with cleaning ditches on road bordering Silverline Park to reduce stormwater issues
- Jan 23, 2020 Town of Woodfin approves the Change Order to Equinox adding costs of survey for floodplain, electrical and approval of train station platform
- Jan 24, 2020 Town of Woodfin receives authorization from WastePro for Phase 2 environmental testing of site
- Jan 30, 2020 Town of Woodfin receives a copy of the US Army Corps of Engineer report—Project Manager to ensure all recommendations completed
- Feb 4, 2020 Town of Woodfin approves Buncombe County STIP Project No. EB-5774 for Task Order 2 Greenway developed by HNTB North Carolina P.C.
- Feb 5, 2020 Woodfin Team meets with Town website consultant and requests additional services which include public information site
- Feb 7, 2020 Equinox presents CLOMC Timeframe for Silverline Park - Project Manager to monitor for completness
- Feb 12, 2020 Woodfin Team Meeting: Project Manager noted his recent contact with Buncombe Permitting offices —found that permits are necessary for the wetland bridge, pavillon, and train platform.
Feb 12, 2020 Woodfin Town Clerk to set up Woodfin request for inclusion on MSD agenda in March —asking for easement back to Newbridge area
- Project Manager will contact Equinox to ensure permit process
- Project Manager will contact Equinox to ensure handrails are in plans for bridge and train platform regardless of height
- Mayor noted his preference for using the toilets in the Silverline Park building versus portable toilets. Alderman will need to schedule a walk through of building to determine work needed to have open to the public
- Project Manager to notify Equinox of plans for using building toilets
- Ronnie Lunsford, Project Manager to begin approaching local contractors to determine which groups will be interested and available for work at Silverline Park
Feb 13, 2020 Equinox submits list of permits needed for changes to WastePro site per request from Linda Glitz for potential grant associated with purchase of WastePro site
Feb 14, 2020 Woodfin Team meets at Town Hall to review questions to be submitted by Riverlink for updated Agreement that is being developed and further review of questions by Ward Sims to be reviewed at Feb 18 2020 Town of Woodfin meeting
Feb 13, 2020 Representative from Alpha Testing rescheduled Phase 2 testing on WastePro site due to problems associated with backlog of jobs -hoping to be completed before end of Feb 2020
Feb 17, 2020 Woodfin Team attends Buncombe County chaired Project Oversight Committee meeting at Riverlink: Riverlink staff voice concerns over “estimates” of project costs and difficulties with fund raising. Short discussion of upcoming Agreement to be submitted by Riverlink Director.
Feb 17, 2020 Woodfin Team met with representatives from Buncombe County Parks and Recreation to request copies of actual grant contracts from TDA and DOT and to review revenue actuals. Also discussed timelines for Greenway construction and relationship to DOT authorizations. Final review of questions submitted by Ward Sims regarding status of projects with Woodfin Team
Feb 18, 2020 Equinox notified Town of Woodfin of Duke Energy removal of power lines from Silverline Park site
Feb 19, 2020 MSD grants Woodfin easement rights for Greenway areas
Feb 21, 2020 Woodfin Team meet and discuss:
- Clerk to add to Feb agenda for Alderman consideration
- Town Clerk to contact Alpha Environmental for date of soil testing in Silverline Park
Feb 21, 2020 David Tuch from Equinox sets of Feb 28 2020 meeting at Woodfin to review status of all projects-Silverline Park, WastePro and Riverside renovations
Feb 25, 2010 Alpha Environmentals notified Town of Woodfin that Phase 2 testing on WastePro site has been completed - wait 10 days for results
Feb 25, 2020 Mayor Jerry VeHaun attends Land of Sky meeting where additional grant monies are being reviewed and secures an additional $1,000,000 for Beaverdam Greenway
Feb 26, 2020 Linda Glitz makes arrangement to extend the Pigeon Fund Grant through The Community Foundation of Western North Caroina to a November 2020 end date.
Feb 27, 2020 The Woodfin Team met with the Town of Woodfin website developer to review extended services for current contract and develop the public information site on the Silverline Park, The Wave Park and Riverside Park The Wave and Woodfin Greenways.
Feb 28, 2020 The Woodfin Team met with representatives from Equinox to review current status of site plans for Silverline Park, the Wave Park and Riverside Park. Key areas of discussion included:
- information and financial procedures relating to initiation of Bond monies
- contact to Equinox regarding Town Commissioners preferences for steps to water and smaller landing for tubes and kayaks versus current boat landing
- Authorization signed for Alpha Environmental to schedule Phase One soil testing at Silverline Park site per Equinox contract
- Request to Equinox for listing of permits associated with Silverline Park
- Start of Grant contract reviews to ensure compliance — copies given to Woodfin Team with further review to continue during week of Feb 24 2020
- Woodfin Team reviewed spread sheet for deposits in account created for Woodfin Greenway and Blueway in bank per Janice at Town of Woodfin. Grants from Pigeon Restoration and Connon have been deposited in this account.
- Equinox will set up meeting with hydraulic engineer on March 17 2020 and Town Commissioners to discuss the relationship with reducing the berm and flooding into Silverline Park
- Reviewed the site plan completion date goals for Silverline Park Phase 1 and 2. Equinox goal is to have Phase 1 completed by March 31 2020 and will call later with Phase 2 final goal for completion.
Reviewed Commissioners request to move the berm reduction and clearing to Phase 1
Reviewed Mayor’s preference to use the bathrooms in the building versus portable toilets in the Silverline Park during phase 1
Reviewed plans by Mayor to tour Silverline Park building with Project Coordinator to determine location of the bathrooms to be used and set up bids for renovation costs - information to be sent to Equinox - discussions with business owner of upcoming changes
Discussed Town of Woodfin taking responsibility to clan out ditches along railroad and road close to Silerline Park in order to reduce stormwater drainoff issues
Noted the new Duke Energy power lines which have been installed in Silverline Park
Equinox staff discussed their goal of completing all permitting for Silverline Park during the 60 day bidding and initiation of construction. They strongly suggested a 30 day response to bids which are to be mailed out on April 1 2020 with cover letter clearly explaining the requirements for the position ((type of license and insurance, etc) and the 30 day time requirement.
Commission made request to Equinox to send out the specific permits for Silverline Park
Reviewed actual bidding requirements for towns to use in this type of project
Reviewed wetland and stream bank construction costs and relation to Pigeon Fund Grant and Cannon Grant—Note that Pigeon Grant date has been extended to November 2020.
Discussed recent completion of Phase 2 environmental study on Wastepro site
Discussed goal of ownership of WastePro property by June or July 2020 and the need to contact Scot Shipley when the bid is accepted. - Town Attorney has been notified of the need to make offer on the property following the results from the Phase 2 environmental study
Reviewed construction sequence for Silverline Park - wetland designation and creation is high priority - and the Wastepro site in order to provide access for contractors to work on The Wave while other landscaping and grading is occurring in Riverside Park.
Equinox reviewed their goal of completion of the master conceptual plan for the Wave Park and Riverside Park as of May 30,2020. The March 31 2020 deadline was not reached due to the Town of Woodfin prioritizing Silverline Park goals.
March 3, 2020 Woodfin Team met to review specifics of DOT Grant from information obtained from Land of Sky. Found that monies from DOT Grant should be specific to the Woodfin Greenways, another one million is going to be available for Beaverdam Creek and that Buncombe County Parks and Recreation staff are handling all aspects of this Grant for the Town of Woodfin. The Pigeon and Cannon Grant requirements and time limitations were also reviewed at this time. The Mayor is setting up a meeting with Buncombe County staff to discuss the extension for the Tourism Grant—should occur during the week of March 23rd.
March 3, 2020 The Woodfin Mayor met with the Riverlink Director - decision was made to have Riverlink direct fund raising goals towards The Wave . An agreement was also made to allow Riverlink to decide on naming rights.
March 4, 2020 The Woodfin Team met at the Silverline Park building, inspected the building bathrooms and inspected the condition of the fence which is around the front of the building and side, the condition of the wetlands in relation to two large trees, and the condition of the culvert which drains storm water drainage at the far left of the property. The potential of a spring running into the parking lot was also discussed and will be monitored. The Project Manager is making arrangements for the wooden fence to be removed up to the Doggy DayCare area, the two unstable trees removed which could potentially be a threat to visitors and contractors and the side culvert to be cleaned out after receiving permission from Silverline owners. The Project Manager is contacting Equinox regarding the continued use of the portable toilets during Phase One of the Silverline Park development and will secure cost estimates on bathroom renovations.
March 9, 2020 Jason Young Town Manager dies
March 13, 2020 The Woodfin Team met to discuss the addition of Michael Saunders, acting Town Manager to the Woodfin Team, taking the place of Jason Young. Michael Saunders noted that he had been unable to send the thumb drive to eCreate which lists all the Town ordinances but will follow up with in later today. He is contacting eCreate to set up the final meeting for review of the revised Woodfin website for Tuesday of next week. Michael has also contacted Facebook to remove the current Woodfin site at this time. The agenda for the upcoming March 17th meeting was amended to include authorization to the Town Attorney to make a proposal to WastePro for purchase of the property, and for authorization to Town staff by the Town Commissioners to begin bidding process for the competed design work on The Wave Park and Riverside Park in conjunction with Scot Shipley ’s designs for The Wave. Plans have been made to contact Mr. Shipley as soon as the WastePro site is under contract. The Mayor also reviewed the March 25, 2020 agenda and attendance list for the meeting with Buncombe County staff to review the procedures for securing the Woodfin Bond and to review requirements and time limits on the Buncombe County Tourism Grant. A conference call was also set up for Tuesday, March 17th at 10am with bond administration staff to discuss the specifics involved in releasing the Woodfin Bond funds.
March 13, 2020 Woodfin Team reviews and responds to questions by Wilson Sims and Friends. Debbie Giezentanner sends out per email on March 15 2020
March 14, 2020 Initiating removal of wood fence and unstable trees from Silverline Park site.
March 16, 2020 Buncombe County mandate allowing for 10 person meetings only.
March 17, 2020 Town of Woodfin has group discussions with Town Commissioners, Mayor, Town Attorney to discuss changes in Town Administration as well as Buncombe County mandates for virus control measures —there is no public meeting and there were no votes on any topic.
- Equinox stated the goal of all construction completed on Phase 1 by November 2020 and Phase 2 by March 2021
- Tourism Grant has completion date of December 2020 so Mayor is contacting Land of Sky to investigate the potential of extending. If completion date cannot be extended, another plan will be formulated to have completion by the December 2020 date.
Authorization without a vote was given to the Town Attorney to purchase WastePro site.
Plans were made to hold a virtual web based meeting which the public can access at a later date during the next 30 days.
March 18, 2020 Per Buncombe County guidelines, the Mayor ordered the closing of the Woodfin Town Hall. Woodfin staff are working from home as well as staying in the facility based on needs of the Town, but the Town Hall is closed to the public.
Mayor Jerry VeHaun continues to work from his office at Town Hall each day in order to ensure town business and services continue without problems.
March 9, 2020 Jason Young, Town Manager, dies.
March 23, 2020 eCreate adds section to website which provides information on all Woodfin projects and the Project Goals Timeline document.
March 24, 2020 Town Commissioner reviews with Equinox the information to be included in the cover letter for the Silverline Park Phase 1 and Phase 2 construction bids to be mailed out on April 1 2020.
March 30, 2020 The Woodfin Team met via telephone to discuss:
March 31, 2020 David Tuck from Equinox submits Advertisement for Bids cover letter for the review and acceptance from the Woodfin Team. The Woodfin Team mades two changes to the cover letter and initiates plans for the public meeting by April 6, 2020 where the Town Commissioners will authorize the bidding process to begin, and schedules the prebid meeting where the finalized Equinox proposals will be reviewed.
April 2, 2020 Mayor of Woodfin sends Silverline Park bid letter and package to local Consultant for review and approval.
April 3, 2020 Service vendor working at Town Hall to accommodate public conferencing to have capacity to address potential of 100 applicants to planned public meeting.
April 6, 2020 Service vendor continues to work on technical problems at Town of Woodfin and Consultant makes corrections to Silverline Park bid letter and bid package resulting in moving of scheduled public meeting. Goal is now for Thursday, April 9, 2020. More details to be addressed on Town of Woodfin website.
April 14, 2020 Public meeting via virtual meeting room or conference call scheduled for 6:30 on Tuesday, April 14, 2020.
April 15, 2020 Follow up from the Tuesday evening Woodfin Commissioners virtual meeting:
- Updated information on the Woodfin Bond whereby the administrative staff from the bank handling the Bond monies notified Town of Woodfin staff of the clause in the Bond document which will allow the Town of Woodfin to request a three year extension past the original date of 2023 if construction projects timelines dictate such a need. The Mayor stressed that at this time there was no need to request the extension but did note the availability.
- The formal request was made to David Tuck at Equinox to assume the responsibility of creating the cover letter for the “Advertisement For Bids” for the Phase One and Two of the Silverline Park project.
Mr. Tuck accepted the responsibility and will send the cover letter for the Woodfin Team’s review on March 31, 2020.
- The Woodfin Team continued to discuss the different avenues available to hold a public meeting.
Plans are made to notify the public via the Woodfin website on Wednesday, April 1, 2020 of the potential public meeting via web or conference call by April 6, 2020.
April 20, 2020 The Woodfin Team met to review the Financial Plans for each of the Woodfin projects—French Broad Phase 1 and 2 Greenways, Beaverdam Creek Greenway, Silverline Park, The Wave Park and the Riverside Park Rennovations.
The Woodfin Team reviewed the presentation sent by Equinox on suggestions for the Riverside Park Renovations and also approved the application process for involvement in a Grant sponsored by the Environmental enhancement Grant Program. Linda Glitz will be assisting the Town of Woodfin in applying for Grant fund for $200,000.00.
April 21, 2020 The Woodfin Team met with Riverlink representatives to discuss specifics on responsibilities for construction of and fund raising for The Wave project.
- The owners of the WastePro site have agreed to meet with the Town Attorney and representatives from the Town of Woodfin on May 4, 2020 to discuss the potential purchase of the property. The Town Attorney received authorization to contact the apprasier ( appraisal is over one year old) and request an update to the current appraisal. The last appraised value was $555,000.00.
- After a brief review of the final design by David Tuck from Equinox, a motion was made and approved to approve the 100% design plan and to authorize the Assistant Town Manager to mail out the bidding materials to local contractors who have been recommended or who have shown interest in bidding on the Silverline Park project. A thirty day response period is expected.
- A motion was made and approved to authorize the Assistant Town Manager to begin advertising for the vacant Town Manager position.
- Plans were made to schedule the next Town of Woodfin Commissioners meeting, via virtual if needed, after the May 4th meeting with WastePro owners —noting that bids for final design work can not be sent out before the Town owns the property where The Wave will be located.
- The Mayor notified the Town Commissioners that Buncombe County is expecting a decrease of 30% in Sales Tax - due to the current shelter in place situation. The Mayor is taking guidance from Buncombe County Board of Commissioners on when to reopen Town Hall for the public. Note that the Mayor and the town of woodfin staff are in the office daily to ensure services are continuing to be provided to citizens.
April 22, 2020 The Mayor of Woodfin worked with Buncombe County Planning and Development towards securing the permit for stormwater compliance for the Silverline Park site.
April 23, 2020 The Woodfin Team reviewed all Equinox invoices from original date of contract in order to ensure correct project coding for financial quality assurance.
April 24, 2020 The Woodfin Team and other Town Commissioners were advised of the potential for a 35% decrease in annual budget based on reduced sales and use tax from Buncombe County.
April 27, 2020 The Woodfin Team met with a representative from Equinox to review concept design plans on The Whitewater Wave Park, the Wave and Riverside Park rennovations. Also reviewed the anticipated budgets for each section, following the decision from Riverlink regarding their decrease in fund raising abilities.
April 28, 2020 The Woodfin Team, Woodfin staff and Equinox staff held the prebid meeting for questions from contractors who are interested in bidding on the Silverline Park project- there are currently 9 contracting firms who are showing interest in bidding on the Silverline Park. Formal bids are due to Town of Woodfin in May 2020.
April 30, 2020 The Mayor of Woodfin reopens the Riverside Park at 2:30pm.
May 4, 2020 The Woodfin Team and Town Attorney met with owners of WastePro property —have agreed to meet again during third week in May to continue with discussions on purchase of their property for the Whitewater Wave Park. The WastePro owners would like to have the opportunity to stay in Woodfin ——they are actively seeking a light industrial zoned site of 5 to 10 acres where they can store their trash units for refurbishing—no trash on site. Anyone who knows information on a property site should contact Michael Saunders at the Town Hall.
May 5, 2020 The Woodfin Team held a conference call with one of local contractors who had questions regarding the Silverline Park construction proposal.
May 7, 2020 Linda Glitz, Project Coordinator for potential $200,000.00 Grant contacts Woodfin Team for information. Grant information must be completed by May 28, 2020.
May 14, 2020 Woodfin Team received three bids from contractors interested in the Silverline Park development - information is being reviewed by Team members and a professional consultant to ensure that all bids include the required data and that all contractors who submitted a bid are authorized for the type of work involved in the Silverline Park project.
May 20, 2020 The following was discussed at the May 19, 2020 Town of Woodfin monthly meeting:
- The Woodfin Team met to discuss the status of permits which have been secured by Equinox for the Silverline Park project and those in process:
- Submitted: Floodplain Permit/ Us Army Corps of Engineers and Nationwide Permit 27 for wetland impacts/Section 401 Water Quality Certification
- Permits in process: Land Disturbance Permit for Erosion and Sediment Control for Buncombe County Stormwater Program/ CLOMR/LOMAR process has begun.
- The Woodfin Team met to discuss questions submitted by construction group interested in bidding for Silverline Park project.
May 28, 2020 Equinox sent an update regarding status of Permits on Silverline Park:
- WastePro owners have requested an updated appraisal of their property. Town Attorney signed contract and expects a 4 week process. Once the appraisal is completed another meeting will be held with the owners so that purchase of the property can occur. Meanwhile Town staff are working to assist WastePro staff in locating another parcel which would meet their needs. Goal is for the Town of Woodfin to own said property by the end of July 2020.
- Three Silverline Park bids for construction have been submitted and plans are to accept the lowest bid within the next 30 days. The goal is for construction on the Silverline Park to begin in July 2020.
- Equinox staff continue to work on the conceptual plan for the remaining three projects - Whitewater Park, Riverside Park rennovation and The Wave.
- The Woodfin Team presented Town Commissioners with copies of the individual spread sheets with costs and revenue sources for each of the projects. The Greenway projects were not included due to the recent NCDOT letter dated May 7 2020 which noted their financial issues and the halt to projects. Buncombe County staff, which have design and construction control of the Woodfin and Buncombe Greenways, state there is no definite date on when NCDOT will revisit revenue streams which affect ongoing projects. Note that the Grant for $5,138,000.00 awarded to Woodfin to be used for Greenway development is associated with NCDOT and Buncombe County administration.
- There are plans to reopen the monthly Project Oversight Committee Meetings cancelled due to Buncombe County Chairman and Assistant being pulled to the EMS Department in the County due to Covid-19 safety strategies. This Oversight Committee, whose Chair is a member of Buncombe County staff, provides a monthly update on the status of Greenway projects to members of the Woodfin Team and Town Manager, who then provide verbal updates monthly to all Woodfin Town Commissioners.
June 3, 2020 Equinox emailed Town Commissioners the Conceptual Design Master Plan for the Riverside Park Expansion and Renovation. Town Commissioners are asked to review during the next two weeks and a meeting will be set to discuss.
June 11, 2020 Town of Woodfin hires a new Town Manager —details to be given during the June 16th meeting
June 12, 2020 The website now includes the proposed Budgets and Cost Details for the Silverline Park Project and the Riverside Park Renovation and Expansion project. Go to menu and click on Budget tab to review.
June 16, 2020 The Town of Woodfin Board of Commissioners met Tuesday evening - agenda included:
- Floodplain Permit - sent and under review.
- US Army Corps of Engineers (ACE) Section 404 and Nationwide Permit - in process.
- Section 401 Water Quality Certification NCDEQ-DEMLR - in review.
- Stormwater - RECEIVED
- NCDEQ Erosion Control: - had to be updated due to expansion of area including a coffer dam for constructing the boat ramp -waiting for signatures and notarized and will mail
…Equinox also sent an update stating that the finalized conceptual Master Plan for the Riverside Improvements and Expansion which includes the Whitewater Park and the Wave WILL BE COMPLETED by June 2, 2020. Equinox staff will be setting up a meeting for Town Commissioners to review the final plans.
- The Town of Woodfin continues to wait on the updated appraisal of the WastePro property—planning on completion of the appraisal by June 16, 2020 and another meeting with WastePro staff to be scheduled immediately after.
- The June 16, 2020 Town of Woodfin meeting agenda will include APPROVAL of the construction group for Silverline Park.
- The June 16, 2020 agenda will also include discussions on the creation of a Woodfin Parks Advisory Group —this appointed group of citizens will meet monthly to advise the Town Commissioners on conditions in the now increasing number of parks in our community. Note also that the 20-21 Woodfin budget will include funds for the maintenance of the parks per recommendations from the various Grants secured by the Town.
- The Town of Woodfin is currently following guidelines from Buncombe County regarding reopening of the Town Hall—the Mayor is in hopes that Town Hall will be reopened by July 1, 2020 but wants the citizens of Woodfin to know that he and staff are in the office daily to ensure services in Woodfin are not negatively affected.
July 1, 2020 New Town Manager Mr. Eric Hardy begins employment.
July 9, 2020 The Woodfin Team met with Mr. Eric Hardy, Town Manager to review current Woodfin projects. Mr. Hardy will include the following on the July 21, 2020 Town of Woodfin monthly Board meeting:
- approval of the bid for Silverline Park construction—owner states he hopes to begin by the end of July or first of August.
- update from the Town Attorney on the purchase of the site for the Whitewater Park and The Wave - the appraisal update has been received and provided to the owners of the property. They have been informed that the goal continues to be that the Town will purchase the property in July.
- discussion on the first phase of the Woodfin Bond monies will be for Silverline Park construction, purchase of the WastePro property and Equinox design costs.
- Mr. Eric Hardy, new Town Manager joined the meeting electronically and voiced his support of all the Woodfin projects and his intent to be involved in all aspects.
- Town Commissioners were given a copy of the Silverline Park and Riverside Park Renovations and Expansion budgets, revenue sources and expected expenses which were posted on the Town of Woodfin website on June 12th. The Timeline for Silverline Park is now available on the website. The timeline for the Riverside Park Expansion and Renovation is being completed -waiting for information regarding The Wave.
July 9, 2020 Town Manager plans for a ribbon cutting ceremony at Silverline Park on Tuesday, July 14th, 2020 at 10am as construction begins.
- Equinox staff presentation of final design plan for Riverside Park Rennovation and Expansion - copies to be given out for Commissioners final approval.
- Timeline for Riverside Park Renovation and Expansion, including timeline submitted by Scot Shipley, Wave designer to each Town Commissioner.
- Update from Town Attorney on status of purchase of WastePro property —plans are still in process to own the site by end of July, 2020.
SilverLine Park is located just north of the Silver-Line Plastics manufacturing facility. Silverline Park has been made possible by a generous donation by the Silvers family of nearly 5 acres of presently undeveloped land along the French Broad River.
The intent is for Silverline Park to provide a wide variety of opportunities including access to the river for recreational purposes, a children’s playground and a connection with the Craggy Mountain Rail Line.
Project Construction Plan
Riverside Park was originally built in 1998 and was donated to the Town of Woodfin from Riverside Business Park.
The Town recently announced pans to expand the current Riverside Park southward by almost four acres. This renovation will mean a generous park expansion project with connections to The Wave project, expanded parking and environmental restoration.
(large file [19mb] - download time will depend on your connection speed)
THE WAVE AND PARK SITE
The Whitewater Wave will be a world class river wave-perfect for a broad range of river adventurers from novices to whitewater experts.
To be sited adjacent to Riverside Park and along the new Woodfin Greenway, it will be created from a carefully designed and engineered ledge feature made of natural rock and concrete, and installed in the riverbed.