Buncombe County is a separate government from the Town of Woodfin, while Buncombe County provides many services that citizens of Woodfin may take advantage of, its laws are not applicable within the corporate limits of the Town of Woodfin.
Buncombe County has its own elected County Commission that holds regular open meetings. Should you need assistance in regard to Buncombe County services (taxes, elections, deeds, etc.) it is best to contact them prior to consulting with municipal staff.
Visit them directly at www.buncombecounty.org
Given the vast number of departments hosted by Buncombe it is best to navigate their site to determine which department or employee you may need to consult or contact by phone.
In the meantime here’s a little information about Buncombe County government:
Mission & Goals
Buncombe County is a caring community in harmony with its environment where citizens succeed, thrive, and realize their potential.
- We promote a healthy, safe, well-educated, and thriving community with a sustainable quality of life.
- We provide effective and efficient government our citizens can trust.
- We deliver needed service through a responsive work force committed to excellence, integrity, and teamwork.
To achieve this mission, Buncombe County Government realizes the importance of a diverse professional workforce and the need to foster a responsive and innovative organizational culture, one that fully engages all of our employees, honoring and building on each employee's unique experiences, opinions, and perspective.
We in Buncombe County government have a responsibility to provide leadership in our community. That's an important service. So important that our values reflect this commitment to S E R V E.
how pride in our work.
xhibit caring in all we do.
alue and practice honesty.
And that's what makes Buncombe County great!
- Improve communications with citizens through public meetings, media, and integrated technology.
- Provide high-quality, cost-effective, fair and equitable service through process improvement, efficient use of resources, contracted services, materials, and equipment.
- Ensure high quality service by attracting and retaining a qualified work force through competitive compensation, employment benefits, employee training, and employee recognition.
- Continuously improve internal and external customer satisfaction through ongoing analysis and response to customer feedback.
- Assure fiscal and programmatic accountability to citizens through internal and external reporting and well documented, clearly communicated procedures.
- Encourage client independence and self-sufficiency by providing basic care and protection while promoting self-reliance.
- Address the current and changing needs of individuals by making efficient use of available resources.
- Respond effectively to the needs of individuals and families by providing flexibility in service delivery.
- Maximize the effectiveness of county services by establishing collaborative planning, development, and evaluation of human service programs among county departments.
- Enhance human service programs by encouraging collaboration through community partnerships.
Culture & Recreation
- Meet the changing needs of our diverse community by developing, supporting, and encouraging access to appropriate technological, educational, and recreational programs.
- Improve the cost-effectiveness of recreational services by developing recreation facilities and programs that are self- maintained through user fees, sponsorships, donations, and grants.
- Enhance citizens’ quality of life by developing library and recreation facilities with easy access to neighborhoods.
- Respond to the growth and diversity of community-wide programs and facilities through appropriate staffing levels.
- Ensure the quality of recreation and library facilities by establishing and maintaining county-wide construction and operation standards.
- Minimize the cost of solid waste disposal by utilizing the most appropriate, environmentally sensitive, and economically sound technologies available.
- Improve water quality through pollutant source reduction and public education.
- Reduce the amount of disposed household hazardous wastes through effective public education initiatives.
- Improve customer convenience and service by streamlining the permitting process.
- Improve air quality through public education and cooperation between agencies, departments, and private corporations.
- Improve the likelihood of students’ school success by assuring that all children enter primary school equipped to learn and gain maximum benefits from their educational opportunities.
- Create an environment which encourages high school graduation including: expectations of both a demonstrated competence in fundamental skills and knowledge at the end of the 8th grade and a commitment to either college prep., tech prep., or occu-prep.
- Enable students to succeed in the technology-oriented global marketplace by graduating them with the necessary skills, setting uncompromising standards of high performance, and requiring accountability for the educators, students, and parents.
- Meet the region’s complex education needs by establishing programs which make education more accessible, expand graduate programs, and promote high-quality research, technology transfer, and economic development.
Economic & Physical Development
- Attract and sustain companies providing above average wages through the recruitment, development, and retention of a highly skilled and competent work force.
- Strengthen economic vitality by attracting and retaining high-wage industries with emphasis on technology-driven companies while maintaining a balanced mix of employment opportunities.
- Balance the need for additional economic and population growth opportunities with environmental stewardship through well-planned infrastructure expansion.
- Promote economic development within the region by fostering cooperative partnerships with local, regional, and state entities.
- Facilitate economic growth by eliminating impediments to small business and entrepreneurial expansions.